Tema: Re: Q. Bauda su foto
Autorius: KEdas
Data: 2010-09-14 17:16:52
Laimis rašė:
> Daugiausia eismas vyksta keliuose, kur važiuoja ir automobiliai, ir
> dviračiai, ir traukiniai, ir arkliai, dar vaikšto pėstieji.
> Vienokios eismo sąlygos (ir rizika) yra Balbieriškyje, kitokios --
> Vilniuje piko metu intensyvaus eismo atkarpoje.
> Noriu pasakyti (o taip teigia ir, sakykime, įdomioji-praktiškoji kitų
> šalių statistika; tai, kaip ji yra pateikiama/interpretuojama), kad
> apibendrinta/lyginamoji tikimybė nukentėti važinėjant automobiliu yra
> *kartais* didesnė už tikimybę nukentėti važinėjant dviračiu.

Laimi, atleisk, bet rašai labai painiai – daug ženklų „/“ ir skliaustų,
todėl sakiniai sunkiai suvokiami. Kalbant apie saugumą, štai čia yra man
labai patikęs įtikinantis skaičiavimas:
http://hembrow.blogspot.com/2010/08/brain-injuries-and-dutch-cyclist.html

Brain injuries and the Dutch cyclist
An Australian reader pointed me at this document which is about head and
brain injuries amongst Dutch cyclists. Yes, there are also some people
in NL who think that helmets for cyclists are a good idea.

To me, the thing to do is to look at the numbers. The overall risk to
Dutch cyclists (it's on page two of the document) of a "head/brain
injury" is 153 per billion kilometres ridden. That means that one such
injury is one per 6.5 million kilometres ridden.

On average, every Dutch person cycles 2.5 km every day. That's the
highest figure for any population in the world. If we assume that people
cycle every day of their lives to the age of 80, and that they cycle
that 2.5 km every day of their life, they will ride a bike for a total
of 73000 km during their lifetime. Divide it into 6.5 million and you
find a figure that a typical Dutch cyclist can expect a "head/brain
injury" once every 90 lifetimes.

Note that it doesn't say how serious the injuries have to be in order to
be included. However, it does give total numbers of head/brain injuries
per year as 550 + 1600 = 2150 which is more than ten times the total
deaths of cyclists per year from all types of injuries. For the sake of
making the maths easy, let's lazily (and very inaccurately) assume that
every death when cycling is due to a head injury. We then find that the
risk of death due to head or brain injury when cycling is actually
around once per 900 lifetimes.

Also, note that the article points out that cycle helmets can only
reduce the rate of deaths due to head injuries by 29%. So, if a helmet
is worn by that typical Dutch cyclist, it will save his/her life every
3100 lifetimes or so.

Death occurs once in every lifetime. Other causes of death are 3100
times so significant, even here where there is more cycling than in any
other country, and even when we deliberately make the inaccurate
assumption that cyclists never die of any type of injury - and this is
in a country where 93% of the population rides a bike at least once a week.

A contrast with another cause of death:

A couple of days ago I saw some other statistics, about a much more
common cause of death and injury. This covered the risk of car crashes
to Britain's children. In this post is the alarming statistic that one
in 27 children in Britain, more than one in every classroom, can be
expected to be killed or injured in a road crash by the time they are 16.

Think about it. If the risk is similar in other age groups, then there
is a chance of one in five that you will be injured or killed in a road
crash during your lifetime. That's a risk due to motor vehicles which is
many times greater than that faced by cyclists in the Netherlands not
wearing a helmet.

Britain's roads are actually amongst the safest in the world, for
drivers. However the risk of death or serious injury from road crashes
elsewhere is higher in every other country than this one, where there
are more cyclists than in any other country.

Previously I covered the efforts that car manufacturers have put in to
make driving appear safe.

Also... 2.5 km per day may not sound much, but this is the highest
average cycling per day per person figure for any country in the world.
It's the average distance cycled for absolutely everyone, all age
groups, through the entire year, averaged across an entire lifetime. By
comparison, English speaking countries all hover around 0.1 km per day
by bike per person (look it up if you don't believe me). In all places,
keen cyclists of course cycle a lot more than the average. Long distance
journeys by bike are also more common in the Netherlands than in any
other country.